23 February 2015

How NDLEA nabbed drug baron with 8.25 tonnes of hemp



As Nigeria intensifies preparations towards the 2015 elections, a man, Ejiro Young, was also busy scheming on how to make money from a banned substance which could induce crime in its users. He had planned the sale of a truck load of marijuana, popularly known as Indian hemp.

But Ejiro ran out of luck as operatives of  National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in  Kaduna, acting on a tip-off  swung into action and arrested him at Kakau village along Kaduna-Abuja road. He is currently in the net of the agency  and will soon to be arraigned in court.

 Speaking on the arrest of the suspect, the State Commander of NDLEA in Kaduna, Samuel Azige, expressed the agency’s optimism and dedication in the  discharge of its duties, promising to put the unacceptable practice of drug trafficking  at the barest minimum.

He said  it was the biggest arrest so far made in the northern part of the country. A total of  8.241 tonnes was  said to  have been seized, against three tonnes previously recorded in the entire region.
At present, according to Ejiro Young, the hemp is worth N19.5 million. It has the tendency of appreciating over time, he said.

The  suspect spoke on why he indulged in the drug trade:
Why did you go into this business knowing that it is  illegitimate?
 l started the business so that l can survive  as l did not have any other means of survival. l finished my secondary school and had no money to further education. l went to the bush to look for a job and l  found some people cultivating hemp.

And you could not do any other job aside this one?
 It was not that there was no other legitimate job, but I had no choice since I became exposed to it after my   secondary school education.

How long have you been in this business?
I started in 2011 when l came down to Kaduna. When l was living in Edo State, l was working in the bush.

How and where do you sell it?
We meet on the way and l give my customers the goods.

Who are your major customers?
I don’t have specific custonnes . We meet at different spots along the road. They buy and go.

Do you know the effect of this on the youths you sell it to?
l don’t know.

Do you take some yourself?
I do.

And you don’t know the effect?
I don’t have any effect from it. Sometimes when l take it, it only makes me happy and I forget about  my worries.

Does  your wife know the type of business you are doing?
We got married before she knew the type of business l was  doing and she always told  me to leave the business.

Now that you have been caught, how do you feel?
Well, l am not happy. I plead that the government  should have  mercy on me.

What message do you have for others who are in this business?
My message to them is that they  should realise that this kind of business is unlawful. Anyone that is into it now should know that one day they would be caught, just as l am here now. l advise that they look for something meaningful and lawful to do.

Source: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...