10 January 2016

Community to set up trust fund for Anambra Blind 4



…Their paralysed mother appeals to Obiano, wife for support
Succour is coming the way of the four blind children of Christopher Okafor Onanwa and their paralysed mother in Mbaukwu community, Awka South Local Government Area, Anambra State.

Following the publication of their story on Nov 1, 2015, numerous people reacted through text messages, phone calls and cash donations.
More significantly, the Chairman of Old Akabor Village Union, Sir Nwankwo Samuel told Sunday Sun that the community has stepped up the earlier attempt made the immediate past President General of Mbaukwu Town Union, Chief Omife. I. Omife, to set up a trust fund for the upkeep of the hapless children and their mother.

In the wake of the torrent of reactions that trailed the story, Sunday Sun reporter went back to the family and spent a whole day with the four blind children.
It would be recalled that of the Anambra Blind Four (one male and three females) two of them were not at home during the earlier visit of the Sunday Sun reporter.
The only male among the four children, Uchenna, who for long learnt to be self dependent said that he had consistently avoided being a burden on people.

Recounting what life had been since the day he discovered that he was blind, Uchenna said: “I’m already 37 years. I was 10 or 11 years old, when I realized that I was blind. Right from that time, I decided to face the world with every sense of determination.  My parents took me to Oji River School for the blind where I learnt how to write with braille. I spent six years in Oji and proceeded to Christ the King College (CKC) Onitsha. In my SS2, my father died and our mother, who was already battling with her own ailment couldn’t go far again. I had to opt out of school. One of my uncles who gave us N1000 did so after heaping a lot of insult on me.

“I joined my blind colleagues in Oji River and we had to form a group of beggars and we visited several towns and cities for assistance. It was like this until I had to tell myself that I should get married so that I will not be a loser on all sides. The first lady I wanted to marry, from Ezeagu, Enugu State, disappointed me but I overcame the heartbreak and eventually met another lady from Ubakala, Umuahia, Abia State who agreed and eventually, we married after much resistance from some of her family members.

“To the glory of God, we have children now but you can see that hardship is on every side of my life. I believe I can do all things except driving which I cannot do. But I have other skills, which I can use to fend for my family if I can get a sponsor.
For Kaodilichukwu, last born of the family and one among the three blind girls, her greatest wish is to get someone who will sponsor her education. Beautiful and well endowed as a lady, evidently Kaodili has an unbreakable spirit.

With dogged determination, she has finished her secondary school education and is hoping to write JAMB this year with the intention to study Law or Political Science. She was away to Abuja in search of help last time the Sunday Sun reporter visited and has kept herself busy by doing handicraft and weaving works. The reporter met her busy as a bee, engaged in beadwork; she has even taught her fellow blind sisters how to produce beaded flower vases. By some means that only the Holy Ghost can explain, Kaodili arranges the colours of the beads without assistance.

“My greatest wish is to fulfill my educational dream. I’ve realized that education holds the key to our breakthrough, most especially for the physically challenged like us. I hope to get married someday but when I graduate from the university, I would have equipped myself for the future. Anybody who loves me and desires my welfare should help me in that direction,” she said.

While the other blind children may have their dreams of getting accommodation, marriage, education among others, the first daughter among the blind children, Chidiebere has a different prayer for which she offers daily supplication to God. Her failing health has compounded her problem and this has eaten deep into her psyche and physique. When asked to name her greatest wish, she asked that God would heal her from the mysterious sickness.

“I’m still battling with my health challenge, I take drugs everyday but yet I’m not getting better. Some people might say that we are under the influence of evil spell but I wouldn’t know. When I was younger, we visited several hospitals for the eye problem all to no avail. Tear drops used to flow constantly from my eyes. One doctor said it was glaucoma but the blindness is now a minor issue compared to my constant sickness which has made me an unhappy woman,” she lamented.

Mother of the blind children, Mrs Mercy Okafor in her wheelchair recounted efforts she made to see the former governors of Anambra State, Dr. Chris Ngige and Mr. Peter Obi, during their tenures. She said that nobody listened to her or even collected the reference note given to her for public appeal when Ngige was governor. She said that during Obi’s era, the governor’s security details could not allow her get close to the governor’s office but on one occasion, she traced Obi to his hometown in Agulu but only succeeded in seeing Obi’s sister, a catholic nun who gave her money which she used to pay WAEC fees for one of the blind daughters.

She appealed to the incumbent governor, Chief Willie Obiano and his wife, Ebelechukwu to come to their rescue so that their almost 40 years of suffering can be addressed.  She also expressed deep appreciation to The Sun Publishing Company for bringing their plight to public domain while acknowledging that many people touched by their story have reached out to the family through calls, text messages, prayers, cash donations and promises.

•Any person touched by the plight of the Anambra Blind Four and desires to assist the family can reach them through their GSM number: Ekene Okafor – 07032150785 or alternatively cash donations can be paid into this account: Okafor Jacintha Kaodilichukwu 2077200008 UBA.
Source:The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...