12 April 2015

How DPO was killed —Suspects



SOME of the suspects arrested by the police in the wake of the murder of the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Agugu Division, Ibadan, Oyo State, CSP Ike Nworgu has described the torture the deceased went through before he gave the ghost.

Those who spoke with Crime Reports were among the 49 suspects paraded by the state Commissioner of Police, Muhammad Musa Katsina on Wednesday, April 10.
In an interview with Crime Reports, some of the suspects opened up on what they knew about the DPO’s murder. Below are the excerpts of their statements:

Sakiru Rafiu Bello a.k.a. Lapanpa (36)
I was at a beer parlour with my friend, Yemi Onifade a.k.a. Olota when my brother, Ramoni, called me that a child that was said to be missing had been found at Adekile area and there were many people there.

We left the beer parlour and went to the venue. Yemi and I met a huge crowd and I was informed that the DPO did not allow the crowd inside the building. I moved to the DPO, whom I knew very well and who had been good to me, with other police officers from Agugu Division. They told me to caution the boys among the crowd, as members of OPC had gone into the building to check it, with nothing incriminating found therein.

I complied with the directive and drove the guys back, after which I left. But my brother, Ramoni, did not leave. Yemi and I went back to the drink joint. While there, we heard that things had gone awry at the scene of incident, which made us leave for home. I learnt about the DPO’s death the following day.

My wife also told me that she overheard Ramoni telling his wife that they (Ramoni and friends) had killed the DPO and one of them had gone with the gun. I did not keep the gun as being rumoured and I was not among those who killed the DPO. It was only my brother, Ramoni, who participated in the killing of the DPO.

Yemi Onifade a.k.a Olota (28)
I know nothing about the DPO’s death. Ramoni called us that a missing child had been found in a building. Ramoni later told me when we met same night that it was one Otunba who shot the DPO on the head after one of the boys attacking the DPO was hit by bullet.

Before shooting the DPO, Ramoni said he and others were stoning him, and when Otunba caught up with him as he ran, he took hold of the DPO’s legs and the man fell. Ramoni told me that he and others started inflicting machete cuts on him until Otunba drew the officer’s pistol and shot him on the head. I warned him that the action was dangerous. Ramoni told me that the gun was in Otunba’s possession.

Rilwan Muili a.k.a. Soko (25)
 On that Wednesday, I didn’t know anything was happening at Adekile. I was going to a naming ceremony with others when we noticed a huge crowd at Olubadan High School area. On enquiry, we were told that a tunnel was found in a storey building which also has seven deep wells.

Shortly after, we saw Sakiru and Yemi approaching. Other boys followed them but policemen on ground cautioned him, saying that some of the community residents had gone inside the house without seeing anything. The police came in patrol vans. We went to stay beside the river at the back of the building.

My friend, Idowu, said we should leave. We left for a place we wanted to have a drink. Yemi later came to join us, telling us that there were gunshots at Adekile area. Ramoni also came to tell us that DPO was dead. He said it was Otunba who held the DPO’s legs and others attacked him where he fell. He told us that the canister of teargas that the deceased attached to his trousers was used to hit him on the head while others stoned him and used machete to inflict cuts on him.

Ramoni also revealed to us that he and others removed the DPO’s pistol and gave it to Sakiru. He said it in the presence of his brother, Sakiru, at Ojagbo.

Idowu Aminu a.k.a Alausa (27)
 Ramoni told me that a child that was missing had been found. When I got to Adekile area where the child was reportedly found, there was no sign of such; I only saw a gathering of people with a few policemen in their midst. The news was that a tunnel was found in a building.

I left the place immediately. I did not know when the DPO was killed; I only got to know from Ridwan later in the night. I was arrested at about 3a.m. the following day. I don’t know why Ridwan claimed that I was one of those who macheted the DPO.

Ridwan Okikiola a.k.a. Soko (20)
 I went to Adekile area when I heard about the rumoured kidnappers den. I met the body of the DPO on the ground with Sakiru, Ramoni, Aminu, Muili and others in a room in the house that was said to have a tunnel. He was later taken to Gbelekale road and dropped there. Later, law enforcement agents came and chased people away. The following day, I went to the place where the houses were set ablaze to pack the burnt roofing sheets when I was arrested.

Why I said that Aminu was one of those who inflicted machete cuts on the DPO was that I met him holding a cutlass smeared with blood in his hand.

Halimat Oriyomi (27)
 I am a single parent. I was not part of those who killed the DPO. I didn’t see any underground. I won’t lie to you; I have always been a tough and stubborn child. As a mother, I only joined others to the house when I learnt that a missing child was sighted there. I got into this mess for being a nosey parker. I believe that I am being punished by God for all my stubbornness in the past.
Source:Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...