23 January 2015

Bricklayer, others nabbed for N100m robbery in Lagos

The suspects (Igbi, right)


The police in Lagos have arrested a 59-year-old bricklayer, Samuel Igbi, along with seven others who confessed to a robbery operation in the Alakija area of Lagos where they allegedly carted away N100m.
Igbi, who hails from Delta State, allegedly used his apartment in Victory Estate, Iyana Oba, as their hideout.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the robbery gang was apprehended on December 15, 2014, by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
The other suspects are Nnamdi John, 42, Anthony Umeh, 38, Chineye David, 29, Uchenna Eze, 35, Victor Anamalechi, 45, Ifeanacho Igwe, 35, and 32-year-old Desmond Obinna.
Our correspondent gathered that the police recovered two AK-47 rifles with 11 loaded magazines from the gang. A Toyota Sienna bus, which was the gang’s operational vehicle, was also recovered.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro while the gang was being paraded on Thursday, Igbi said although he did not always go out with the gang for operations, they usually used his apartment for planning and sharing of their loots.

He said, “I work as a bricklayer and I stay with my family. I have a wife and four children. I know only three of the robbers. They stay in my house where they drink, plan their movements and relax. After every operation, they gave me about N40,000.
“I met them in November 2014. I didn’t always go out with them. They only gave me part of their loots.”
Nnamdi, from Imo State, who is reportedly the gang leader, said apart from the Alakija robbery, they also struck at a commercial bank, and some filling stations in Port Novo, Benin Republic last November.

He said, “The Alakija area robbery was in 2013. We collected about N100m from our victim. I took N28m as my own share. I bought vehicles and also bought goods into my shop. I had musical instruments’ shops at Alaba International Market, Ojo.
“Apart from Alakija, we have also gone to Port Novo for robbery on three occasions. During the last one before we were caught, we were at a microfinance bank in Port Novo. We made use of two guns. The security men were asleep, and we tied them.

“One of the members opened the shelf, and we began to pack the money. I took N7m as my share, and the four others got N7m each. I bought another car– a Toyota Corolla. We used a Toyota Sienna to operate. We always kept our guns in a compartment under the car, and so we escaped being caught on several occasions.”

Our correspondent learnt from the police that the gang also struck at Bureau de Change outlets in Benin Republic, as well as in Port Harcourt and Kano in Nigeria. It was gathered that the gang also robbed a commercial bank along Sagamu Road, Ikorodu, in November 2014.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Cornelius Aderanti, said the command would continue to apprehend criminals in the state to ensure safety of lives and property.
He said, “When information got to me about the gang, I directed the SARS Commander, SP Abba Kyari, to arrest the suspects. They have confessed to several operations within the state and other West African countries.

“We will not condone any crime in the state as the police work to ensure safety of lives and property.
“Concerning the incident of political rallies turning violent, the police have held a meeting with all political party leaders, and executives of the National Union of Road Transport Workers. Any political party whose campaign turns violent will be held accountable for it.”
Source: Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...