16 May 2015

Father seeks justice for baby killed by mob



Owner of a guest house and block making industry in Irawo, Atisbo Local Government Area of Oyo State, Mr. Wahab Hamzat, has called on the state police command to bring those who were responsible for the attack on his family which led to the death of his 10-month-old baby to justice.

During the attack, which occurred on April 12, 2015, Hamzat and one of his workers suffered serious injurie s while his guest house and block making industry were destroyed.
Hamzat, who is also a traditional healer in the town, alleged that the attack was led by one Nafiu Sijuola and another youth simply identified as Dotun. He also alleged that the town’s monarch, Ajoriwin of Irawo, Oba Musiliu Ademola, knew about the attack.

 “On April 11, 2015, we went to cast our votes when I suddenly heard Sijuola saying that he and other youths who followed him would deal with me. They later attacked me, tore my clothes and boasted that they would come to my house. I was taken away on a motorcycle,” Hamzat said in an affidavit he swore to, which was obtained by our correspondent from his counsel, Mr. Remi Alli.

“On the second day, I discovered that my guest house was destroyed with N1.9m kept in a brief case taken away. Sijuola and Dotun were later apprehended by four soldiers that intervened in the matter.
“They were taken back to the guest house but Sijuola ran away and returned soon with others who attacked us again. Soon after, I saw the monarch leading others to the house. I was hit with a pestle on my head. I was later told that the monarch ordered that my block making industry be destroyed.”
Hamzat said policemen from Tede division took him to Abiola Memorial Hospital in Tede later for treatment.

According to him, one Ojo Baalosa removed a baby from the back of his wife, Adijat and flung the toddler to the ground.
“Our baby died two days later and the police arrested the suspect and took him and the other attackers to the Iyaganku Police Station in Ibadan. We want justice for our innocent child,” Hamzat said.
However, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mohammed Katsina, said there was insufficient evidence to link the monarch to the attack and that investigation was still on.

“I am aware of the case but the matter came to me late. It was a case of interwoven phenomenon. The earlier report was against him (Hamzat) then after investigation, I knew that he suffered a lot of deprivations in terms of the alleged murder of his baby and destruction of his property.
“The alleged murder of the baby is beyond what we can settle so I handed it over to the homicide section with special directives that the culprit be fished out.

“The issue of destruction of property is not justified by whatever Hamzat must have done. What is material is that some people took laws into their hands. Voodoo claim is involved in the case but the law does not believe in that.

“The monarch said he would mobilise to rebuild his guest house in order to rehabilitate him and I gave a time limit. I was moved with his pathetic situation and gave him N10,000 as cost of some of the blocks to rebuild the house. But we are still investigating the matter and all those involved will soon be apprehended.”
Source:Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...